PHPBB3

Information about changes, updates and planed feature enhancements.
boxerthief
Site Admin
Species: Hyena

PHPBB3

Postby boxerthief » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:52 am

So yah.

For those that didn't notice the hyena has been busy for once. With Dhaiul having a life and not being able to have time to update this site recently I've taken the liberty (with his permission of course) to update us away from that antiquated old forum version we were running. I've installed some base styles and we will likely add more later.

Update THIS forum with any issues since the upgrade. I'll do my best to scavenge for an answer.

:3

boxerthief
Site Admin

Re: PHPBB3

Postby boxerthief » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:57 am

P.S. I know how bad the current logo looks on the new site.

I'll Work on it >.<

ZentratheFox
Species: Awesomefox
Sexual Preference: Straight

Postby ZentratheFox » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:07 pm

Just a comment or two, if I may.

So, congrats on updating to PhpBB3! From an admin perspective, it's much more flexible than 2, and I'm sure it will be much less buggy.

Unfortunately, there are a few issues I'd like to address...

Firstly, the default theme you've got selected is quite hard on the eyes. Most users do not know how to change their theme, so I'd like to recommend changing it to something more neutral.

Secondly, it's a shame that the custom fields for species and the like are no longer implemented. If that data has been retained, however, it's at least not being read by the style, and therefore not displayed. It'd be nice to get that back at some point.

Now, I know this website is not you guys' full time job, but from a user perspective, those are some little things that might need addressing at some point in time. :wink:
fabled straightfox | certified brony
web | twitter | fa | youtube

speedtests:
fios | galaxy relay hspa21

boxerthief
Site Admin

Postby boxerthief » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:25 pm

Thanks for the ideas and I agree the default theme is bad, just tired as it was. I've set this to a darker theme for default and will probably work on a custom theme later.

Unfortunately the profile fields were an addon that isn't compatible with phpbb3 (Since phpbb3 has this built in) . The data sets were not compatible and no matter how much SQL trickery I pulled it would be easier manually typing them all back in each users profile. Trust me getting the avatars re-imported was enough fun. I've re-added the Species option so users can fill this back in. There was some earlier controversy about the Sexual preference sections (since this isn't an adult only forum) so I'm leaving them gone for right now.

Overall I know some of these things such as the tweaking on and off for a while was why we had stayed with the old forum for so long. As mentioned keep the ideas coming, I'll try and get small updates in here and there.

ZentratheFox

Postby ZentratheFox » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:32 pm

If you're taking suggestions... :P

Never hurts to add one of those nifty image resizer addons, that eliminate the need for users to have to post a size-restricted image, and instead resizes them as to not stretch the page.

Also, maybe having the age displayed next to the posts again, if that's an easy one. I'm a phpBB2 guy, so I don't know how easy it is to just add a value like that.

If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to add. :3

EDIT: oh, lol, could also make the :3 smiley turn into Image if you chose to do so. :P And the logo, you can make it usable across all the themes by changing it from a translparent GIF w/ a shadow to a transparent PNG with a shadow.

EDIT2: woohoo, the upgrade fixed the annoying "This post was last edited" message that popped up even if you edited it immediately!

EDIT3: (many edits...) the adult-labeled subforums have <b> HTML tagging around them. :3

speedtests:

Cody Furlong
Species: Tabby
Sexual Preference: Bi-Sexual

Postby Cody Furlong » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:24 pm

What about puting the avatars and profile parts back on the left side of the screen?
You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been. You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow.
- Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills

ZentratheFox

Postby ZentratheFox » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:34 pm

Cody Furlong wrote:What about puting the avatars and profile parts back on the left side of the screen?

You're using the annoying default theme. You can go into your user control panel and change it to something more standardized, and easier on the eyes. :)

speedtests:

Draco
Species: Storm Dragon

Postby Draco » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:59 pm

Test post from mobile skyfire web browser.
If you only get a little wet when sneezed on by a dragon, consider yourself blessed that it was not a fireball.

Dogs have masters, Cats are said to have staff... Dragons, we take villages, virgins and castles. FYIAD!

Draco
Species: Storm Dragon

Postby Draco » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:00 pm

Default theme test on windows mobile 6 web browsers
IE: crap eyesore, maybe functional
Iris: (used to work great) completely fails, cant even log in
Skyfire: works fairly well, even posts messages!
opera, I'm not even going to try... stupid registration screen doesnt work.
If you only get a little wet when sneezed on by a dragon, consider yourself blessed that it was not a fireball.

Dogs have masters, Cats are said to have staff... Dragons, we take villages, virgins and castles. FYIAD!

boxerthief
Site Admin

Postby boxerthief » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:39 am

Age : currently isn't an option in the SQL headers for posts. It has been noted that this will likely be added in future releases. Since Dhaiul has mentioned to me that we are sticking with the subsilver2 layouts adding the age would take multiple file changes. We are looking into this but do not want to have to change this again for every update we do.

Smilies : I will add new smiley packs to the forum shortly and will likely remap them to the current. I'll look for a pack that includes the one you mentioned.

Adult forums: Apparently not even BB code is parsed in these fields anymore, I've left the adult tag but removed the bold. Should still be enough.

Mobile phones : I know the subSilver templates work well enough in safari for iPhones and Operamobile/IE6 on WM6. I don't have devices past this to test with however was able to login on all 3 and browse without too much trouble. I don't think Dhaiul wants us to add the mobile mod again as it had a security issue on the phpbb2 version. I'll double check though. Putting it bluntly mobile device support isn't a high priority but I will look into it further.

Rwanda
Species: White Lion
Sexual Preference: Gay

Postby Rwanda » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:03 am

Have to agree that I do not like the default style of the board. Actually, personally, all 3 styles look funny to me. I liked the old style better than all 3 of these. :( Plus the logo at the top doesn't match into the new styles, it looks choppy and, well, cheap and unprofessional.

Sorry for so much criticism. o.o;
Der weiß Löwe liebt seine lila Katze.

whines

Postby whines » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:16 am

boxerthief wrote: There was some earlier controversy about the Sexual preference sections (since this isn't an adult only forum) so I'm leaving them gone for right now.

Hm. Sexual preference has a signifigance that goes far beyond what people do in the bedroom. (not intrinsically, but in the context of a fairly homophobic society it does) The furry community is welcoming to diversity in that way and I think letting people flag themselves like that is comforting and welcoming to incoming non-straight furries.

As long as it's not a REQUIRED field I don't see many reasonable objections, and I think the good outweighs the bad.

hominyjibjib

Postby hominyjibjib » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:01 pm

whines wrote:
boxerthief wrote: There was some earlier controversy about the Sexual preference sections (since this isn't an adult only forum) so I'm leaving them gone for right now.

Hm. Sexual preference has a signifigance that goes far beyond what people do in the bedroom. (not intrinsically, but in the context of a fairly homophobic society it does) The furry community is welcoming to diversity in that way and I think letting people flag themselves like that is comforting and welcoming to incoming non-straight furries.

As long as it's not a REQUIRED field I don't see many reasonable objections, and I think the good outweighs the bad.
Fastest method to lose credibility: type wit no punxuation or proper speling or proper grammar yay

sirusfox
Species: Fox

Postby sirusfox » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:07 pm

whines wrote:

I have to agree, it kinda goes along with the species, location, and gender attributes we get to assign, as well as signatures. Some people like to label themselves up like that, others don't, and like whines said, as long as its not mandatory there is no harm in it :3
My DA account my FA account

Code: Select all

Fay Ole wrote: "you're an @$$hole, Sirus <3"

Cody Furlong
Species: Tabby

Postby Cody Furlong » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:07 pm

I agree with the last three.
You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been. You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow.
- Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills

Return to “Board updates, info, and Known Issues...”